Ready to crank up the air conditioning? Follow these tips to maximize efficiency and comfort:
- Keep the unit set to the highest temperature that is still comfortable.
- On especially hot days, switch the unit to the recirculate setting, which continues to cool the already cool air in the room rather than pulling in hot air from outside.
- Use a ceiling fan or box fan, which will do some of the cooling work. You’ll be able to turn up the setting on the AC, saving energy without sacrificing comfort.
- Keep lamps and appliances, which produce heat, away from the AC unit and its thermostat.
- Close all curtains, windows and doors and turn off any lamps that aren’t needed.
- Clean removable filters and check disposable filters once a month. Keep the unit vacuumed and free of dust, which can restrict airflow and make the it less efficient.
- Turn up the temperature a few degrees before you go to bed, and shut off the unit before you leave the house.